Legal Status for Military Family Members

Ricky Malik

Legal Immigration Status for Military Family Members

If you are the spouse, parent, or child of an active duty or retired member of the Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, Selective Reserve of the Ready Reserve, then you can obtain legal status.

This concept has been around quite a few years but was clarified recently to implement a uniform policy across the United States. It is commonly knows as Parole-in-Place or PIP. Under INA 212(d)(5)(A) an individual can be "paroled" on a case-by-case basis for "urgent humanitarian reasons or significant public benefit." Parole in place is available for everyone but is rarely granted except for those with family in the military.

What type of Legal Status can you obtain?

There are two options that are available:

  1. Parole in Place (PIP). This will be granted to the spouses, children and parents of current and former members (veterans) of the U.S. Armed Forces. In order to apply you must submit the appropriate form, proof of family relationship, proof of Armed Forces Service, two pictures and other additional evidence that you feel will be beneficial to your case.
  2. Adjustment of Status (Permanent Residency). If the family member who is or was in the U.S. Armed Forces is a United States Citizen, then you will be eligible to obtain Lawful Permanent Residency (LPR) or a "greencard" after you obtain PIP.

The United States Citizenship & Immigration Services recently released the memorandum clarifying the availability of PIP and adjustment of status which can be view below. If you have questions or want to know more about this program, please do not hesitate to contact us.