Travelling outside the United States as a Dreamer (DACA)

Ricky Malik

A young client who was recently granted legal status and work authorization under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program asked me if he could travel outside the United States. His life had changed so much in the last few months. For the first time in his life he was legal and could work.

He knew no other country than the United States since he had been here as long as he could remember and asked me if he could travel to his native country.

I told him that he may apply for permission and obtain what is known as "Advance Parole" to travel outside the United States and return. Traveling without Advance Parole would mean his newly acquired, long awaited deferred status would expire.

In order to obtain Advance ParoleĀ as a Dreamer, you must file a form I-131 and demonstrate that you have a compelling reason related to (1) your current employment, (2) education, or (3) humanitarian purposes. I told him though this may change in the future, his reasons for travelling must be related to one of the three reasons.

Ricky Malik, Esq.