How long will my waiver (601) take if I go overseas?


I am oftentimes asked by people who are ineligible to get Lawful Permanent Residency (LPR/greencard) in the United States about going overseas to complete a waiver process, known commonly as an I-601.

The risk and fear is that it will take too long and may get denied. Both are reasonable concerns and many people feel that if they leave it will take years. While this is true in a few cases, generally, if after consulting with my office we decide to proceed with an overseas petition process, the wait times can be as short as a few months or generally in the 6-12 month range. Below are the latest processing times.

As you can see the majority of cases are completed within 6 months, except for El Salvador which takes just less than a year for 100% completion, Honduras which takes over year, and England where the Consulate clearly takes their time.

Ricky Malik, Esq.