Can I apply for a work permit (EAD) even if my case was denied and is on appeal?


Yes! According to USCIS-NBC in meeting held in October 2011 with AILA, even if your case has been denied by USCIS, and then subsequently denied by an Immigration Judge, you can still apply and get your work permit while your case is on appeal before the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) or later if your case is with the Cirucit Court of Appeals in your area.

You must demonstrate proof of the pending appeal in the form of

  1. a copy of the file stamped Form EOIR-26 where block 6 indicates that the Form I-485 is at issue in the appeal
  2. a file stamped copy of the Petition for Review wherein the alien is appealing the fact that the BIA affirmed the IJ’s denial of the Form I-485,
  3. or in cases where an Appeal of an I-485 has been remanded to a lower court, to the BIA or Immigration Court, a copy of the Court Order remanding the matter.

Ricky Malik, Esq.