How is "currently in school" defined for the Deferred Action Program?

Law Offices of Ricky Malik, P.C Logo

We are receiving many questions about the "school" requirement for DACA: "Can I enroll in a GED program now?", "What if I completed High School in my country, can I enroll in school now?", "Do I still need to be in school?", "Do I need to go back to school?",

The DACA program is flexible.

To meet the “currently in school” requirement you must be enrolled in school on the date you submit a request for consideration of deferred action under this process. This means that you can enroll now in a program and apply for DACA.

Types of programs that qualify:

  1. General Educational Development (GED) programs or its equivalent;
  2. English as a Second Language (ESL) program as a prerequisite to your placement in postsecondary education, job training, or employment;
  3. Educational, Literacy, or Career Training (including Vocational training) programs that are designed to lead to placement in postsecondary education, job training, or employment;
  4. Public or Private elementary, middle, junior high, high school, or secondary school.

Contact our office if you would like to receive a free evaluation of your eligibility for Deferred Action or email me at

Ricky Malik, Esq.