Earthquake Relief: Haitian students affected by 2010 Earthquake may apply for Work Permits


The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will allow Haitian F-1 students who were in the United States on January 12, 2010 to apply for work permits. 

The DHS previously issued Temporary Protected Status (TPS) to Haitians in response to the devastating earthquake.  Haitian nationals holding F-1 nonimmigrant status or any other type of status should consider consulting with a competent attorney to determine if it is in their best interests to maintain their current status or change status to TPS.  TPS for example will not require a Haitiain F-1 student to continue to pay school fees if the Change of Status (COS) is granted.

For more click here.

Ricky Malik, Esq.