Immigration Attorney
Immigration Lawyer Immigration Attorney Profile Legendary Stories Criminal Defense
click here to be intstantly connected to an Immigration Attorney click here to send us an email click here to read our blog
Provisional Stateside Waiver
Detained & Criminal Immigration
Defense From Deportation
Family Based Immigration
Marriage to a U.S. Citizen and Removal of Conditions
Non Immigrant Visas
Humanitairian & Special Immigration Programs
Employment Based Immigration
Maintaining Your Residency
Important Links You Need to Know
Resources: Immigration Consequences of Criminal Convictions
Who We Are
Criminal Law
Find Us
Find Us
View our Offices


Maintiaing Permanent Resident Status

Permanent Residency (LPR or Greencard status) means that the United States is your permanent residence and home.  However sometimes, circumstances beyond an individual's control causes the need for an extended stay outside of the United States.

Consider the following when planning long term travel:

1. By law your trip overseas should be less than one year.

2. If your trip will be for more than 1 year, apply for a Re-entry permit before departing the U.S. which will allow you to remain outside the United States for 2 years without losing your Permant Resident Status.

3. If you stayed outside the United States for more than 1 year or more than two years if you applied for a Re-entry permit, then you may be in a difficult situation.  You have two possible options.  Firstly, you can apply at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for a Returning Resident (SB-1) immigrant visa.  If you cannot meet the SB-1 requirments, then you may want to consider re-applying (starting over) for another immigrant visa if you qualify.

Burden of Proof for SB-1

In order to apply for a Returning Resident visa (SB-1), you will need to prove to the Consular Officer that you:

1. Had the status of a lawful permanent resident at the time of departure from the U.S.;

2. Departed from the U.S. with the intention of returning and have not abandoned this intention; and

3. Are returning to the U.S. from a temporary visit abroad and, if the stay abroad was protracted, this was caused by reasons beyond your control and for which you were not responsible.

Required Documentation

1. A completed Application to Determine Returning Resident Status, Form DS-117

2. Your Permanent Resident Card, Form -551

3. Your Re-entry Permit, if available

4. Dates of travel outside of the U.S. (Examples: airline tickets, passport stamps, etc.)

5. Proof of your ties to the U.S. and your intention to return (Examples: tax returns, and evidence of economic, family, and social ties to the U.S.)

6. Proof that your protracted stay outside of the U.S. was for reasons beyond your control (Examples: medical incapacitation, employment with a U.S. company, accompanying a U.S. citizen spouse, etc.)

8620 Centerville Road, Manassas, VA 20110 7505 New Hampshire Ave. Suite 318 Takoma Park, MD 20912 Join us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch Us On YouTube View Our LinkIn Profile Click here to subscribe to our Rss Feed

The information on this Virginia Lawyer / Law Firm website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The Law Offices of Ricky Malik, P.C. represents clients in all 50 states of the United States and the World over, including Manassas, VA, Prince William County, Arlington, Fairfax, Centreville, Alexandria, Falls Church, Roslyn, Washington, DC, Loudon County, Lorton, Woodbridge, Virginia, Takoma Park, MD, Langley Park, Bethesda, Rockville, Hyattsville, Montgomery County, Prince George's County, Columbia, and Baltimore, Maryland.