Immigration Attorney
Immigration Lawyer Immigration Attorney Profile Legendary Stories Criminal Defense
click here to be intstantly connected to an Immigration Attorney click here to send us an email click here to read our blog
Provisional Stateside Waiver
Detained & Criminal Immigration
Defense From Deportation
Family Based Immigration
Marriage to a U.S. Citizen and Removal of Conditions
Non Immigrant Visas
Humanitairian & Special Immigration Programs
Employment Based Immigration
Maintaining Your Residency
Important Links You Need to Know
Resources: Immigration Consequences of Criminal Convictions
Who We Are
Criminal Law
Find Us
Find Us
View our Offices

Legal Status for Military Family Members

Legal Immigration Status for Military Family Members

If you are the spouse, parent, or child of an active duty or retired member of the Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, Selective Reserve of the Ready Reserve, then you can obtain legal status.

This concept has been around quite a few years but was clarified recently to implement a uniform policy across the United States. It is commonly knows as Parole-in-Place or PIP. Under INA 212(d)(5)(A) an individual can be "paroled" on a case-by-case basis for "urgent humanitarian reasons or significant public benefit." Parole in place is available for everyone but is rarely granted except for those with family in the military.

What type of Legal Status can you obtain?

There are two options that are available:

1. Parole in Place (PIP). This will be granted to the spouses, children and parents of current and former members (veterans) of the U.S. Armed Forces. In order to apply you must submit the appropriate form, proof of family relationship, proof of Armed Forces Service, two pictures and other additional evidence that you feel will be beneficial to your case.

2. Adjustment of Status (Permanent Residency). If the family member who is or was in the U.S. Armed Forces is a United States Citizen, then you will be eligible to obtain Lawful Permanent Residency (LPR) or a "greencard" after you obtain PIP.

The United States Citizenship & Immigration Services recently released the memorandum clarifying the availability of PIP and adjustment of status which can be view below. If you have questions or want to know more about this program, please do not hesitate to contact us.


No Comments Posted
8620 Centerville Road, Manassas, VA 20110 7505 New Hampshire Ave. Suite 318 Takoma Park, MD 20912 Join us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch Us On YouTube View Our LinkIn Profile Click here to subscribe to our Rss Feed

The information on this Virginia Lawyer / Law Firm website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The Law Offices of Ricky Malik, P.C. represents clients in all 50 states of the United States and the World over, including Manassas, VA, Prince William County, Arlington, Fairfax, Centreville, Alexandria, Falls Church, Roslyn, Washington, DC, Loudon County, Lorton, Woodbridge, Virginia, Takoma Park, MD, Langley Park, Bethesda, Rockville, Hyattsville, Montgomery County, Prince George's County, Columbia, and Baltimore, Maryland.