On Monday, June 11, 2012 and the following day, the Washington Post ran a story about one of the Law Offices of Ricky Malik's clients. Today, June 15, 2012, after many years of advocating by thousands, the Obama administration announced that it will offer Deferred Action to those who know only the United States as home, for those who were brought to this country as children and has issued a DREAM act type directive which includes work permits.
There are five criteria to be eligible. The applicant:
1. Came to the United States under the age of sixteen;
2. Has continuously resided in the United States for a least five years preceding June 15, 2012 and is present in the United States as of June 15, 2012;
3. Is currently in school, has graduated from high school, has obtained a general education development certificate, or is an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States;
4. Has not been convicted of a felony offense, a significant misdemeanor offense, multiple misdemeanor offenses, or otherwise poses a threat to national security or public safety; and
5. Is not above the age of thirty.
Full Memo below. Huge and significant announcement. Way to go Heydi, DREAMers and all the thousands who helped make this happen.
Ricky Malik, Esq.